Giving blood saves lives. The blood you give is a lifeline in an emergency and for people who need long-term treatments.
Why do we need you to give blood?
We need new blood donors from all backgrounds to ensure there is the right blood available for patients who need it.
- Nearly 400 new donors a day to meet demand
- Around 135,000 new donors a year to replace those who can no longer donate
- 40,000 more black donors to meet growing demand for better-matched blood
- 30,000 new donors with priority blood types such as O negative every year
- More young people to start giving blood so we can make sure we have enough blood in the future
More detailed information is available on the NHS Blood and Transplant service website